Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ubuntu / dropbox

 If you get the warning
Unable to monitor filesystem
Please run "echo 100000 | sudo tee /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches" and restart Dropbox to correct the problem.
here's one way to increase the default value of /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches at startup, so one doesn't have to do it manually at every boot.

As root (or with sudo), create a file

/etc/sysctl.d/30-inotify.conf

with the contents

fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100001

Reboot, or run "sudo service procps start".


That's it!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, very useful.
    Note: it seems that there should be no space around the '=' character.

    I have a question too: Why did you choose 10001 instead of 100000 as the dropbox message says?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it was just a typo. I left out a zero. Thanks for spotting it. Funny thing, though, is that it still stopeed the error messages. Must be something else going on somewhere, undetected.

    I've corrected the missing zero in the text above, now.

    The final "1" is just me talking to myself, reminding myself that I put that figure there. Like I get 60 euros out of the ATM, not 50, so that I know on the statement it was me. Just a little numerical signature. Not cast-iron, obviously :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I'm not sure you are right about the space around the "=" sign. I've taken it out, just in case, but I see that other system settings in the sysctl.d directory have spaces around their "=" signs. I think the space is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm plain wrong about the space around the = sign. It's working perfectly with the space in. I don't know what I did wrong during my test. Sorry about that.

    Thanks again for the tip.

    ReplyDelete